Monday 9 August 2010

'Annonymous' critics

Yesterday I happened to see an extremely damning comment about my book Strip on The Guardian blog page.

The discussion was actually about Salt Publishing's 10th Birthday. I was not a participant in the discussion. The guy commenting had many things to say about Salt, poetry today, etc, etc. Many things he wanted to say without extending the courtesy of using his actual name. This is a bit of a literary hit and run. Although I was not there, a drive by somehow mortally wounded me anyway. I have nothing but respect for anyone who has opinions about literature, even when I don't agree with them, but I have more respect for people who are willing so stand up and put their name to them. (I may say things many people don't agree with, but I say them honestly and transparently.) The criticism I had is one thing, I'll deal with this shortly, but the manner in which it was delivered is the equivalent of a phone call in the middle of the night. You hear the heavy breathing, you feel your breath catch in your chest and your hands shaking, but no, you have no idea who this is. 'Asgill' on The Guardian blog also was not too enthusiastic about Luke Kennard and Salt generally, but I felt he had a go at me in particular, for no reason I can see.

From the comments posted it is clear that a man made these comments: a poet, someone political, an educated person who does work with groups 'on the outskirts'. It was not difficult to figure out this person is probably with Smokestack books (come come Mr AsGill (Arthur Scargill?) the order in which we would mention publishers we like gives away more than we may intend. Much as if I listed poetry publishers I liked I would probably always list Salt first. What we know will always slip out first.

So ASGill, who I believe to be Alan Morrison from Hove, (yes, clever as your ruse is it doesn't work too well if on a post in 2009 we signed it A.Morrison, Hove) let's not be coy. If we want to give our opinions to the big boys, poets, publishers, writers and editors like Roddy Lumsden we must be willing to use our name. As you say 'Life is too short.'

If by any chance Alan Morrison, poet from Brighton is not 'ASGill' then of course these comments don't apply to you. If you are Alan Morrison and did not comment on The Guardian blog I strongly suggest you contact The Guardian site and make a complaint about this guy using your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment